Today is my birthday, and I have decided to share my wishlist of amazing gifts that you could give me or any other children’s book author or illustrator. I know you’ve been wondering. So here you go, my friends.
11 Meaningful Gifts To Give A Children’s Book Author Or Illustrator
- Stop by your local library and ask if they have their book. If they don’t because it’s checked out, great! But if they don’t yet own a copy, ask them to order it. If librarian tells you to add it to a suggestion box, please do! Chances are, it will be ordered.
- Stop by your local bookstore and ask if they carry their book. If not, ask them to order it.
- Stop by your local elementary/middle/high school and ask if the book is in the school library. If not, ask them to order it.
- Write a review of their book on Goodreads, Amazon, or another online platform of your choice.
- Add their book to your Goodreads to-read list. They won’t be offended if you admit if you haven’t read it yet. They’ll be delighted by the addition! Those numbers matter!
- Tell a friend about their book. Heck, tell a stranger about their book.
- Turn to social media. Post or tweet about their book. Like their author page. Suggest people like their author or illustrator page. Share a post they have written. If their book is new (and they have made one), visit, comment on, and/or like their SCBWI Book Blast page!
- If that author does school visits (hey, New England & tri-state area, friends, I do!), tell your school’s PTO, principal, and/or teachers that you think the author would be a fabulous choice for a school event. The NUMBER ONE way that authors schedule school visits is through word of mouth! That’s you, friends!
- Purchase their book to gift to a child in your life.
- Purchase their book to donate to a classroom, school library, public library, or literacy drive.
- Read their book to a child in your life. Read any book you love to a child in your life. Continue that circle of connection, communication, and compassion that occurs when you read aloud to someone.
Do you have any other ideas? Share them below! Thank you for your birthday wishes!